Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Kwaheri Kenya!

Its been about 2 weeks since my last update...so much has happened, I'm not really sure where to begin. I guess I last left off with our departure for the Maasai Mara safari. It was incredible! Early mornings with glorious sunrises, beautiful starry nights, breathtaking savannas, and lots of wild animals! Highlights of the safari: Seeing a large group of elephants as soon as we arrived at the Mara on Sunday afternoon, a pride of Lions and lionesses twice (the first time, the lion had a huge dead warthog in his mouth and the lion had bloody paws!), and a cheetah! We also got to see hippos and crocodiles too!
We came back Tuesday and on Wednesday, Lesley and I went to Kibera and picked an entire trashbag full of snappeas from Stella's garden! Some of the curious schoolchildren came by and helped us with the harvesting! It was so cute!
On Thursday, the 3rd, Michael, Lesley and I picked up Sarah (D.I.G. president), Sally (coming to Kenya to teach nutrition) and Catherine (coming to work in Zambia with DIG). We all packed in the car and drove to Ruiru and then waited on the Mothers2Mothers to arrive. I got to hold a week-old baby (SO tiny!) for a long time while waiting to begin work in the garden! We then helped put soil in the beds and cut away excess tarp which holds the water in.
On Friday, we picked the 3 DIG women up again and checked email at Java Coffee house. After Java, we headed to Kibera. I was feeling pretty sick that day so I stayed in the car a little while but soon I had a gathering of Kibera schoolchildren gathering around the car, peering in the window at me, saying "How are you? How are you? How are you?"...so I decided to get on out. Haha, I got out and they all took my hands (each child grabbing a finger!) as I walked with Stella to her garden to meet back up with the girls.
Saturday through Monday night, I was unfortunately pretty sick, so I took it pretty easy. We got some painting done in the nursery, but other than that I did a lot of resting. Monday, I decided to join Michael and Lesley on their latest sonogram for their baby "girl"...many of you have already heard the news, but after the doctor has strongly assured the Stevens that they would be having a baby girl...he suddenly turned his prediction around with a strong "Its a BOY!!" haha! It was so much fun being able to witness both Michael and Lesley's reactions! We were all in absolute shock!!
For some reason right now, I can't remember what we did Tuesday, but on Wednesday, I had my first "house visit". We went to Kibera to visit a friend of Michael and Lesley's, Gilbert, who works as a guard at the gate at West Nairobi School. Upon arrival we were served hot chocolate and a mountain of peanut butter and margarine sandwiches (we each had to eat about 4 full sandwiches in order not to offend Gilbert and his wife...mind you, these were not small "tea" sandwiches!) THEN, when we told him we were stuffed and about to leave he said, "Wait, there is more coming." They then brought in huge pots of rice, ugali (much like dry grits), scuma (like spinach), and beef stew. Delicous but already feeling stuffed, it was very hard to swallow! Even though we left feeling pretty sick after overeating, we enjoyed our time with this VERY generous and sweet man! :)
Spent much of Thursday running errands and getting ready for a mission team from Mobile to arrive. Later that night we had the Mobile team over for a spaghetti dinner.
Friday, we picked up the Mobile team to work in Kibera...we played and sang with the children and even split up and taught a few classes! Later, we shopped (bartering) at the Village Market. Very fun but wears you out with arguing for a good price! We ate dinner at a food court near the market and watched World Cup with a HUGE crowd of peope...Mexico vs. South Africa! It was so exciting! Everyone was so into it!
Well, Looks like my battery is about to die so I'll have to fill you in on the rest tomorrow (hopefully!). Love you all and look forward to seeing you all soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment